That Page On Sustainability
Fashion has a waste problem. Industry waste and global greenhouse gas emissions are affecting the planet in ways that are altering all life on Earth. Sustainable fashion is about changing our mindset as a collective about how we produce, ship, shop, wear and most importantly - discard clothing and accessories.
When you're clothing has "run it's course", help us give the products a new life and reduce waste.
- RPET clothing and accessories are 100% recycleable. Do not throw discarded items in with trash
- Or donate the item(s) to a local, good-will location
- We're a small team that can work and communicate from anywhere
- We can reach a global audience
- We produce far fewer ghg's
WHAT IS CIRCULARITY?
Circularity is the principle that used or discarded products serve as raw materials for new products or materials. By participating in a circular economy, we focus on preserving the value of raw materials, components and products from the ground up.
WHAT IS CIRCULAR MANUFACTURING?
Circular manufacturing (also known as lean manufacturing) is a sustainable model that extends the life and use of materials and goods to minimize waste and energy and resource usage. In particular, circular manufacturing may include: converting to a renewable power source; adopting predictive maintenance to extend the condition and longevity of equipment; and sharing equipment with other plants and businesses.
(Image courtesy of Sustainable Global Resources Ltd. Recycling Council of Ontario)
WHAT IS A CIRCULAR ECONOMY? - defined by the EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency)
"A circular economy, as defined in the Save Our Seas 2.0 Act, refers to an economy that uses a systems-focused approach and involves industrial processes and economic activities that are restorative or regenerative by design, enable resources used in such processes and activities to maintain their highest value for as long as possible, and aim for the elimination of waste through the superior design of materials, products, and systems (including business models). It is a change to the model in which resources are mined, made into products, and then become waste."
A circular economy reduces material use, redesigns materials to be less resource intensive, and recaptures “waste” as a resource to manufacture new materials and products.
WHAT IS REGENERATIVE AGRICULTURE?
Regenerative agriculture is a conservation and rehabilitation approach to farming systems (resources like food or crops like cotton and many others used in clothing and accessories).
It focuses on topsoil regeneration, increasing biodiversity, improving the water cycle, enhancing ecosystem services, supporting biosequestration, increasing resilience to climate change, and strengthening the health and vitality of farm soil.
"Such microscopic. Very organisms. Many nutes. Wow." - Doge
WHY WE USE ORGANIC COTTON
Organic cotton offers a solution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions - How it's farmed.
3 Fun Facts About Organically Grown Crops
- Organic crops require healthy soil. Healthy soil is the foundation of a healthy environment
- Regenerative farming techniques do not include the use of toxic chemicals and pesticides
- Regenerative farming feeds the soil vital minerals and nutrients. Techniques like crop rotation give it a greater, natural ability to hold on to water and to sequester (reduce) greenhouse gas
WHY WE USE RECYCLEABLE AND BIODEGRADABLE MATERIALS
In two words: Waste management.
Materials like plastic, polyester, rayon, nylon etc. take 100's of years to break down; if at all, emit excess greenhouse gas and leak chemicals (chemicals like EDC's) into the environment if disposed of improperly.
- Recycling synthetic materials reduces synthetic material waste by reusing them in production rather than shipping them off to another country or to be incinerated into the atmosphere
- Recycling materials requires less energy than sourcing new/virgin materials
- We do not use antimicrobials on the finish of any item
- We use water-based, bio-degradable neopigment inks by Kornit on all of our designs. The inks and dyes are GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) approved and are free of heavy metals, formaldehyde and (APE) Alkylphenol Ethoxylates
What is Recycled Polyester?
Recycled polyester is a fabric that’s produced from synthetic fibres. Recycled polyester is produced by recycling existing materials (like plastic bottles, polyester-based clothing and packaging) but still has all the characteristics and performance as a regular polyester, making it a more sustainable fabric alternative.
How is Recycled Polyester Made?
Recycled polyester is made by crushing plastic products into small pieces. These small pieces are then processed into yarn, transformed into a fibre, and in the end—made into a fabric.
WHAT IS UPCYCLING
To recycle (something) in such a way that the resulting product is of a higher value than the original item. To create an object of greater value from a discarded object of lesser value.
WHY EVERYTHING IS MADE-TO-ORDER
- A classic "less is more" scenario. Everything is made to order which means we only produce and ship what you order
- Not ordering clothing and accessories in bulk reduces overproduction waste
GO-GO GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION CENTERS
- We can ship to anyone with a valid address on Earth
- Having distribution centers around the world shortens both the shipping distance and delivery time helping reduce ghg's produced in transport
- Reducing space-waste and not using an excessive amount of void-fill (cushioning) when packing and fulfilling orders
- Reusing the materials or donating unclaimed clothing to good will projects (homeless shelters, halfway houses and second-hand outlets)
- We use recyclable packaging
- North America
- South America
- The Pacific
WHERE WE PLANT CORAL
- The Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans
There is no planet b. Join the movement forward through a more circular way of life. For questions and additional help, please fill out the contact form or send us a DM via Linktr.ee or use the store livechat during store hours.